Sunday, September 21, 2014

Kuala Lumpur Kapers


We took a day trip to the Batu Caves. 
Not sure if it's named after the bats, but in one of the caves there are reportedly 200,000 bats! We could hear them squeaking and squirming all over the ceiling.  Seriously creeped me out and made me grateful for my super fashionable hard hat.


Beautiful sculpture in relief of a Hindu goddess. 
(I'd get a lot more done with that extra set of arms, 
not to mention the powers of a goddess.)


I had to cover up my immodesty (knee-length shorts--gasp) by renting a skirt ($1). 
Yea, I'm bringin' sexy back.


It may be hard to tell, but this Hindu sculpture of Lord Murugan behind us was as big as a mountain!  It is 140 ft tall and the 2nd tallest statue of this Hindu deity in the world!
(Look at the people on the stairs next to it.)  
Impressive. 
We had to climb over 400 stairs to get to the caves.

But exercising was NOT allowed?  
What do you call 400+ stairs?




Our guide Sha totally ROCKED the hijab/hard hat combo. She was very cute and funny, although she got pretty mad when we wouldn't turn off our flashlights when she told us to.  :/


Bat guano! We could actually hear it dropping.  




What?  There's a big blue monkey behind me?  Yea, right. 
 Glad we didn't get eaten by the real and reportedly ravenous monkeys (only saw 4).  Michael bought monkey food and then ATE IT HIMSELF when seeing signs that said "No Feeding the Monkeys".  OK, it was just peanuts, but still. . .  





???   I'm a sucker for obscure signs.








Check this out.  McDonald's in the train station.  
DURIAN CRUNCH McFLURRY.  
Durian is only the stinkiest fruit ever created and someone thought of making it into a McFlurry? 
Well, I dared Michael to eat it (I got strawberry) and guess what. . .


"Smells wretched, tastes. . . not bad?"
-Michael



(Posing in front of Hindu temple with large leaves.)
Overall, it was a fabulous outing.  




1 comment:

  1. Well you guys are so cute. That golden statue is crazy! And for sure that no exercising sign would have kept me out of those caves. If not, the part about 400 stairs up to a bat infested cave would have. :)

    ReplyDelete