Monday, September 15, 2014

Big Firsts in Japan




From the desk of:

This is my Japanese/Scooby Doo name. 
Risa. Not kidding.


Japan Happenings this week:

We've had some fun firsts this week.

Griffin went to his first movie in Tokyo with friends--Guardians of the Galaxy. They met under this creepy spider sculpture.  Then he took a taxi home--on his OWN!  First time.  Didn't even phase him. Apparently, he gave the taxi drivers directions (using hand gestures since he doesn't speak any Japanese) and he made it to the Compound. 
 Amazing!  Rock on, Griffin!


We found our first Coldstone, actually right next to a Cinnabon and a Wendy's. 
We are suffering here, I tell you!


**First Church party--a Carnival.  
It was fabulous.  There was face painting, scooter racing,  pie-eating and pie-baking contests (my cherry cheesecake didn't win, but it was GONE ENTIRELY by the time the judges got to it, so I think it should have won something ;)  To top it all off, a super GROOVY live band called the First Quorum of the 1970s totally rocked the house. YMCA and even Shake your Bootie.  No lie. Loved it.
And best of all, they had a game where you won LIVE FISH.
My kids won THREE.  
The day before I left on vacation. 
 If they are still alive when I get back it will be a Christmas miracle. 
In September.  

Good grief and little fishes.  Sorry fishies.


The victims.


Willa making cotton candy. She volunteered--wonder why.

Manon doing face-painting. She also volunteered--wonder why (can you say "artistic genius"?)

**Got hired at my first gym IN JAPAN.
So, here is my FUN and FABULOUS happening of the week. I had walked past this gym called Next a couple of times which advertised Zumba classes. I was planning to go in and see if they needed teachers, but every time I went by it was closed. Last week I got a personal e-mail from Next gym asking me if I'd be interested in teaching. Weird. I asked how they found me and they said it was through zumba.com! Went in today and taught a couple of songs as an "audition." They hired me on the spot to start in October. A couple of hours later they called and asked if I wanted to teach THAT NIGHT. My third class of the day. I said yes, of course, went and had a BLAST. Very nice people--they smiled and seemed to really have fun even if I was jabbering at them in English the whole time. Awesome!





First Cockroach Sighting (It looked like this.)
Tip of the day: If you are in a funk and missing your Nana or other loved one, have your youngest child scream, "Help! Help! The cockroach!" This will engage the "Xena Warrior Princess" instinct. Proceed quickly to said child's room. Help her "clean up" her room to avoid future places for (2-inch long--no lie) cockroaches to hide. Then locate vile creature underneath the rug. Calmly announce that you have found the monster. Stall for time, hoping that the husband gets home soon. Give up on that, put on heavy shoes, instruct daughter to do the same, jump and stomp around and around on the carpet (this is very therapeutic by the way) until you are laughing together in spite of yourself. Look under carpet. Locate totally squished disgusting-ness. High fives and happy smiles all around. Sure-fire cure for the blues--at least for now. 



**First vacation while in Tokyo.  I flew to Kuala Lumpur to join Michael on a business trip.
Started off like this--

Airport store--super handy, I'd say!


Some kid really wanted some candy,just not crunchy.  That's how it got it's name (I think.)


Uh-huh. Clever.


Stayed here in Kuala Lumpur--Niiice. . .

A room with a view--





Went swimming. It was delightfully refreshing--until it rained. Glad I caught a few rays!



That night we went to get Thai massage.  
Here is happy Lisa (Risa) post-90 minute massage (30 USD!) 


I survived (and enjoyed) having the masseuse pummel and then stretch my body like a life-sized Gumby doll.  Yes, she kneeled on my calves.  And it felt great.



 Then ate dinner at a Malaysian food place on this crazy street.  Still hopping at 11:30 pm!


Passed on the Frog Porridge, though sorely tempted.


So glad we didn't order the frog.




 Shopping Mecca--


It's been a great vacation!  But, wait!  We live in Tokyo.  That's like a permanent vacation. So, come and visit.
Love and hugs to you all!!


5 comments:

  1. Sounds and looks amazing! So fun to see your faces in such an exotic place!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it. I love the stomping party. So sorry you lost your Nana. We'll have to save our yen and come visit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love seeing the new world through your youthful eyes. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, fun!!!! Even fun to read about.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Risa!! This is awesome. Looks like you are all having a grand old time. Not suffering too much huh. :) Go Griffin - so independent. How old is he? Love the pictures and stories.

    ReplyDelete