Sunday, August 17, 2014

Adventures in Getting Lost



Adventures in Getting Lost

They say the best way to learn one's way around a new city is to get lost in it.  I beg to differ.  Last Thursday, I set out from the apartment (running late, of course) to attend a briefing at the Embassy.  Typically a 10-minute walk at most.  I had been to and from the Embassy several times and I was confident in my ability to find my way. I went out the correct gate, nodded to the guard, and started walking in what I thought was the right direction (not).  

Since most signs are in Japanese (or Chinese) characters, the scenery all kind of runs together.  I don't read characters and they just look like calligraphy to me.  Soon, however, I noticed that NOTHING looked familiar.  I didn't see the landmarks of the Franciscan Church or the statue of the Buddha or the French restaurant--only signs, signs, and more signs.  At that point I knew that at the very least I was going to be late and that I would quite possibly wander the streets of Tokyo for the rest of my life.  I considered going back home, but, unfortunately at that point I had no idea which way that might be. 


I had no cell phone.  No taxi cards.  Nothing to help me get anywhere.  Woefully unprepared.  So, flustered, I figured I would take my chances and hail a taxi, which I did (luckily first time, since it was raining.)  "US Embassy?" I said.  The driver looked at me blankly.  "America?  American Embassy?"  Nothing.  So, I looked at my Embassy badge and on the back it said, in English and Japanese, "If found, please return to the U.S. Embassy, Tokyo."  I showed it to him and smiled.  He laughed.  He had found this lost American woman and his instructions were to return her to the U.S. Embassy. We had somehow communicated.  


As he drove me there (seemingly in circles), I was still shaken and not thinking straight and so began to think that I did not have enough money to even pay for the fare.  It said 720 ($7.20 USD).  I had 4000 yen, but I thought that was only $4 (it's actually $40, so I was good.)  I had horrible visions of arriving without enough money to pay him and offering him my miserable $4.00 for taxi fare.  I figured, worst case scenario I would ask him to wait while I went and got money from Michael. After I calmed down a bit, I realized that I actually had plenty of $ to cover the fare.  In the end I paid him $10 to drive me about 1/2 a mile.  Probably one of the more expensive taxis I have taken, but definitely worth it!

2 comments:

  1. I think that was a pretty smart way to get out of a jam! Have you read Global Mom? If not you should! :) Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fun to read about your adventures.

    ReplyDelete